How do I submit a resale certificate or tax-exemption certificate?

You need to have a sales tax permit to get a resale certificate. You can learn how to register for a sales tax permit in every state here.

If you have a sales tax permit for a state we are registered in, you can create and submit your resale certificate under the billing section of your dashboard.

When creating your resale certificate, you can choose categories of products you wish to become exempt from. We will not charge sales tax on products in the categories you chose but will continue to charge you sales tax on products in categories you don't choose.

Note: Some states require you to present your seller's permit with your resale certificate so we can verify it. In these cases, you will need scan both documents at the same time. This effects submissions for:

  • Pennsylvania
  • New Jersey
  • Massachusetts
  • Tennessee
  • Wisconsin
  • Indiana
  • Alabama
  • Utah
  • Kentucky
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Kansas

Once you submit your completed resale certificate, we need to review it, which takes about 2 business days. Once it has been reviewed, we send an email confirmation stating if it has been approved or rejected.

If it's approved, you won’t be charged sales tax on orders shipping to that state. However, you will be responsible for all taxes on your end. If it's denied, we'll let you know why so you can fix it and resubmit it.

If you have a different tax-exemption certificate, you can email us at You can find information about tax-exemption certificates here.

Was this helpful? Yes No

If you still have questions, contact us here

Ready to try Printful ?