Guidelines - Custom Embroidered Hats
Custom hats are a practical and stylish element to add to your product range. You can offer your designs on embroidered hats - from baseball caps to beanies. Click here for some tips on how to create the perfect embroidery file.
You can get a unique custom hat in 2-7 business days. Our average is 3 days.
For high quality results, we need high quality embroidery files, so please pay attention to the information available on this page.
Click here to see the most common mistakes with embroidery files and how to avoid them.
- Please follow our embroidery guidelines: graphics that do not meet our guidelines might not be embroidered correctly.
- We'll convert your file to a format that the embroidery supports. This process is called digitization. We only digitize files that are part of an order. We don't accept embroidery file types you have digitized yourself.
- Each style of embroidery (3D Puff, Partial 3D Puff, or Flat embroidery) requires a separate digitized file, $9.95 per file.
- 3D Puff and Partial 3D Puff are an extra $1.50.
- Embroidery for side graphics is an additional $3 per side.
- Back embroidery costs an additional $3.
- If you wish to embroider only one side of the product or just the back, leaving the front blank, you will not be charged an additional $3. In this case, the extra charge will only apply for a second graphic.
Embroidery file tutorial videos
- 3D Puff: a technique where embroidery is raised. Used mostly for big shapes.
- Flat embroidery: A technique where stitches are embroidered flat on the hat. Used mostly for small details.
- Partial 3D Puff: A technique where both Flat embroidery and 3D Puff are used in the same graphic.
NB: We don't offer 3D Puff for side and back logos.
Must follow embroidery file guidelines
- Use solid shapes only
Do not include photographic imagery: no gradients, no blends.
- Use solid colors only
Use only solid colors. Maximum of 2 colors for 3D Puff, 4 colors for Flat embroidery, and 6 for Partial 3D Puff (Flat embroidery and 3D Puff used in one design).
- Outline your fonts
All fonts in the embroidery files should be converted to outlines so you don't have to send over the font files. See this tutorial on how fonts affect your files and how to format them.
- Font and detail size
Fonts and details in Flat embroidery should be a minimum of 0.3'' high for upper case letters and 0.25'' for lower case letters.
For 3D Puff, the minimum height for letters is 0.75''.For side logos, there's a maximum of 10 characters per 2'' line.
For Flat embroidery, the minimum thickness for shapes is 0.05”, the maximum thickness: 0.5”.
For 3D Puff, the minimum thickness for shapes is 0.2”, the maximum thickness: 0.5”. There's a minimum of 0.05” spacing between 3D objects.If you want to outline objects with a different color, the line thickness must be between 0.05'' and 0.5''.
Background color must be transparent.
- File formats
Vector graphics files (AI, PDF, EPS) are highly recommended. If you don't have vector files available, raster graphics (PNG) can be used as well if the resolution is at least 300 dpi. We don't accept embroidery file types you have digitized yourself.
Available embroidery colors
Use only solid colors, max of 2 colors for 3D Puff, 4 for Flat embroidery, 6 for Partial 3D Puff. Make sure that your embroidery file contains only these colors.
* These colors match the bill to our Otto & Yupoong Caps.
Important embroidery facts
If your design is too complex - it contains lots of intricate details (small text, delicate lines, etc.) or gradients - we'll need to contact you to revise your graphic.
If your design covers most of the maximum embroidery area, it may exceed the limit of 15,000 stitches. In that case we’ll either ask you to revise your graphic, or simply downscale it to reduce the stitch count.
Due to the high elasticity of beanies and slouch beanies, designs on these items may not be uniformly embroidered or justified.
Once digitized, we can only adjust the size of the file by 10%. Be sure to submit graphics that are true to size.