Put Your Brand First with Printful Inside and Outside Labels
Creating a strong, differentiated brand image is key to turning your website visitors into loyal customers. It’s also no secret that customers are willing to pay a premium price for branded products that offer quality and consistency.
There are many tools you can use to put your brand first. But as an online clothing store owner, you should start with the basics—making your apparel stand out. That’s where Printful’s inside and outside labels come into the picture.
If you haven’t heard of inside and outside labels or aren’t sure whether your brand needs them, don’t worry. This blog post will walk you through the basics of these custom branding options that can help you stand out from your competition.
Branding options glossary
To better understand all the types of branding options, let’s have a look at what the most popular terms mean.
Inside label shows the info the apparel needs to have by law: country of origin, size, fabric, and care instructions. This type of label is printed on the inside of the shirt under the collar on the back.
Outside labels are printed on the outside of the garment underneath its collar. Usually, it’s where brands use to show off their logo, but it can also be a text or other symbols.
A manufacturer’s tag contains all the information that an inside label does, except, these tags are usually sewn to the collar at the back of a garment.
A tear-away label is a sewn-in manufacturer’s tag that can be easily removed.
Printful’s inside vs. outside labels
So we’ve established that every apparel item you sell should have an inside label that contains all the important product information. Additionally, you can also go for an outside label, which is where brands usually choose to show off their logo.
So, if you want to add inside or outside labels to your garms with the help of Printful, here’s what you should keep in mind.
Main things to know about Printful inside labels
- A printed inside label still needs to have all the mandatory product variant info. When you choose to have an inside label on a garment, all this information will be filled in automatically by us.
- Not all products can have an inside label printed on them. You can filter garments by Branding options > Inside label to find products with this branding option.
- Printful inside label specs for most garments are 3″ × 3″, but can also be 2″ × 2″ or 2.5″ × 2.5″ depending on the product. The space for your logo is 3″ × 1.13″.
- At Printful, adding a custom inside label costs $2.49 per garment.
This is what the Printful inside label example looks like. All you need to do is add your custom inside label and the rest of the information about the garment will be filled in automatically.
Main things to know about Printful outside labels
- Printed outside labels can be almost anything. Usually, it’s where designers choose to display the brand’s logo, a short text, or other graphics.
- This type of label is available for most custom t-shirts (except racerbacks), hoodies, and sweatshirts.
- You can also add custom outside labels to some all-over-print items.
- You can’t have both printed inside and outside labels on the same garment. On certain garments, the labels can shine through the fabric and overlap one another. Combining a back print and an outside label is also not possible.
- To find products with the outside label branding option, filter them by Branding options > Outside label.
- Printful outside label specs are 3″ × 3″ for most garments.
- At Printful, adding a custom outside label costs $2.49 per garment.
Benefits of label printing
An extra little touch in the form of a label could be anything – a (very) short joke, a sketch of your cat, an important date… but in a lot of cases it’s probably going to be your brand logo, so that’s what we’re going to talk about. If you’re running a successful online store, custom-printed labels are something you should consider.
- It makes your brand more professional. With printed labels, your garments are completely under your brand, and your customers see that you have thought about even the smallest details. There’s nothing more professional than that.
- It helps your brand stand out. By customizing labels on your products, you’re working on yet another angle of creating and defining your brand which helps you stand out from the competition.
- It’s a constant reminder of your brand. There’s a strong chance that after a customer gets their hands on the product, they’ll forget all about the store they bought it from. Out of sight, out of mind. But a printed inside or outside label on a shirt makes your brand stay in their sight for as long as the shirt lasts.
- It’s yet another way to be creative. You can add a fun or informative message for the customer.
How to add a printed label to your products on Printful?
You can add an inside label to your products either when you’re pushing a product to your store, or when you’re making a manual order through your account. For the sake of this blog, we’re going to use the process of adding products to your store, but both of the processes are very similar.
You need to open your Printful Dashboard and click on Stores on the left side menu. Pick the store you want to add the products to and click Add product.
Choose the garment that you’ve got your eye on. Pick all the product variants and add your designs. Above the mockup, you’ll see an option to add an inside or outside label. Click on the one you want to add and you’ll see the space where you can customize the label.
Just add your logo that meets the label size requirements. When the product gets printed, all the mandatory info about the garment will be added automatically. The process is the same for outside labels, except there won’t be any information that needs to be filled in. And that’s how to add inside and outside labels on Printful—it’s as easy as that!
Little things make a big difference
As your online business is growing, you have to think of new ways to develop it further. While there are loads of things you can do, improving your product value with Printful’s custom printed labels is something worth investing in.
Something small can make the biggest difference and this is especially true for branded labels. It might seem like a small investment, but it does a whole lot for your brand’s visibility and image. Don’t hesitate and take your brand to the next level with printed labels!
Start Your Own Clothing Brand With Printful!
This article was originally published in January 2014; it has since been updated.